Saturday, May 2, 2015

Let the 4th grade teacher handle it

Nicely put shirt! Teachers are the first to admit that we are not perfect, even though we sometimes try to be. I have passion and enthusiasm every day, even on days where work is that last place I want to be. Sometimes I even think, "Why did I choose to be a teacher, why do I put extra hours in, or why do I care this much?"

There are so many posts about the hard work teachers have to endure every day. This is not a rant and rave about the crazy amounts of work teachers have. This is a reminder that sometimes I need to take a step back and remember that even though this might not be a stress-free job, there are 3 things I remind myself:

1. I actually HAVE a job and I make a difference in the lives of many children (that moment when you connect with your class is incredible).
2. Teaching helps me grow as a learner too (maybe I don't have memory loss after all).
3. It keeps me on my toes (even though my feet hurt) and allows me to constantly share my own knowledge.

Yes teachers should be recognized for doing what we do. But we are not doing our job for the money (I'd happily accept a daily bonus!!) Speaking from experience, teachers have A LOT to deal with on a daily basis and we are constantly being thrown more to put on our plate. But at the end of the day, I feel like I can handle anything. It gives me a sense of power and accomplishment. I am proud to call myself a teacher because I truly have experienced what that means.

So the next time you run into a teacher at the store, or if your own child has a conference at school, please remember to thank a teacher. It is such a wonderful moment when you feel appreciated for spending every moment of your life trying to change someone else's.


No comments:

Post a Comment